Friday, April 8, 2011

Pastel Popcorn Balls and Chocolate Chip Carrot Cake Cheesecake

Pastel Popcorn Balls

Ingredients
2 1/2 quarts popped popcorn
(about 2 large bags)
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
(cut into pieces)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Any color food coloring

Pour Popcorn into large bowl. Spread popcorn on two large baking sheets. I put the popcorn on parchment paper. Don't do that, the candy sticks to it. Instead I suggest spraying the pans with PAM. I only make this recipe once a year for Easter.


Combine corn syrup, water, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Wash down side of pan frequently with a pastry brush dipped in hot water to remove sugar crystals. Add candy thermometer.

If you don't have one, like me, then you can use the trick I learned from my step mom. Take a small bowl of cold water and drop candy into bowl until it forms into a hard piece. Then your candy is ready. Continue to cook until it reaches hard ball stage. (255 degrees F)

Remove from heat. Whisk in butter and vanilla.

Add food coloring. If you are using two colors or more like me then just separate candy into bowls and color candy separately. Immediately pour mixture over popcorn. Cool slightly and shape into balls or leave as clusters.



I sprayed my hands with PAM to help me mold the popcorn without sticking. Not sure where I got the recipe. I have had it for a long time. Any questions let me know.


Chocolate Chip Carrot Cake Cheesecake


Ingredients
Carrot Cake:
1 box Classic Carrot Cake Mix
1 package Chocolate Chips
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Cheese Cake Filling:
2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
3 eggs

Mix together dry mix, eggs, oil and chocolate chips in mixing bowl.

Spread 2 cups of carrot cake on bottom of a greased 9-9 1/2" spring form pan. Reserve remaining carrot cake.

In large bowl beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time.

Spread 1/2 of the cheesecake batter on top of the carrot cake. Spoon on remaining carrot cake and top with remaining cream cheese batter. Do not marble with knife.


Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until cake is set and cooked through. Cool to room temperature. When cake is cooled top with Cream Cheese Frosting. Refrigerate for 3 hours and serve chilled.
I modified this recipe from Duncan Hines.com.

2 comments :

Dacia said...

Visiting from Tatertots and Jello. That recipe looks scrumptious!

Rachel at Sun Scholars said...

Oh my gosh... double yumm!!!!!! I would love to try the cheesecake, especially!

Thanks so much for sharing this at my For the Kids Friday Link Party! I appreciate you stopping by. I will be posting this week's link party shortly. I'd love to see what you have to share this week!

Hope to see you soon!
:)rachel @ http://SunScholars.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs