Monday, September 5, 2011

Painted La Cocina sign

Kitchen Redo: painted La Cocina sign






La Cocina means The Kitchen, in Spanish. I am redecorating my kitchen with a Mexican theme. I really wanted to incorporate red, yellow, brown and green. The more things that you see me show for my kitchen will be those colors and with old feel. I have been to Mexico many times and just love the food, decor, and traditions.
To make this La Cocina sign, you start with a piece of wood. I found mine at a local thrift store. It is pretty pitiful looking before.


I sanded it and cleaned it all up then I started painting it. I just used craft paint, so it took a few coats to actually cover it. I also wanted the sign to look aged, so I just slapped the paint on quick. Trying not to be perfect.
 Second coat, just wanted to cover it with paint.
 Then I sanded it again. After I let is dry. Craft paint drys so fast, especially in the summer hot weather.
 Then I distressed it with yellow paint and a Instant Age Varnish paint( I got it at Walmart). After I painted the yellow paint I took a paper towel and rubbed it off and smeared it all around. After I let that dry, I sanded it again.
 I thought for a minute that is might look like baby poop, maybe because I have little kids. I put it up on the wall before I painted the words and I really like the color. All I did was draw the words free hand in pencil, then paint over the pencil marks. The idea is for it not to look perfect. Which I think I accomplished that. I added some cute little Chilli Peppers too.








XOXO-

3 comments :

The Shady Porch said...

I think it looked authentic. The aging process really worked well! I bet it will look great in your new kitchen decor!

Robin said...

My husband would love this. He is obsessed with chili peppers and the kitchen. Thank you so much for linking up to Upcycled Awesome at www.thetshirtdiaries.com

Williams Forever said...

Thats cute erin! I like it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs