Monday, May 23, 2011

Sculpted Ribbon Hello Kitty Bows

*Recently Updated Post*
These are just adorable & pretty easy to make!

Since I had my daughter, I have been falling in love with everything Hello Kitty.

I have been wanting to make Hello Kitty bows for a while now, and I finally found some time to do it.

Here's basically what you need to make these:
Black & Yellow puff paint; Pink & White Grossgrain Ribbon (I didn't end up using the black); 1 Bobby Pin; 1 Ribbon Lined Alligator Clip (not shown)

I started by making the kitty's bow.
 Cut 1'' of pink ribbon and heat seal the ends with a lighter or candle.

Cut down two strips out of the pink ribbon, one slightly bigger than the other and heat seal the edges.

 Use hot glue to fasten down a loop.

 Glue down the other side to make another loop.


 Take the smaller ribbon that was cut and tie it around the center of the bow.

 Make a double loop in the back and glue it down to secure.

 It should look like this.

I did the head next.

**NEW**
(I finally got a new video camera and recorded this...it should help a lot more than my picture tutorial)
Video Tutorial for making the head:

 Cut about 17'' of white ribbon and heat seal the ends.
Make a figure eight on one end of the ribbon. Glue down the loose end in the center. 
Use the bobby pin to help hold down the ribbon while you wrap it around and adjust it.

 Wrap the ribbon around in a figure 8 to cover up the center more. Make sure no light peeks out.

 Wrap the ribbon around one more time to completely fill in the center.

If you don't use all the 17 inches of ribbon, that's fine. Glue down the end at the back and cut off any excess ribbon.

 It should look like this.

Next I did the ears.
 Cut two 2'' strips of white ribbon and heat seal the ends.

 Make this loop style of loop where the top makes a point because the back ends are facing the same way.

 They may look like bunny ears at this point but go ahead and glue down the ends.

 Then glue the ears to the head.

 The back should look something like this.

 Glue down the bow near one ear.

 Use the black puff paint to make the eyes and the wiskers.

Then use the yellow puff paint to make the nose and let dry overnight.

Once the puff paint has dried you can glue the kitty to the lined alligator clip.
Here's a little instruction on how to do a partially ribbon lined alligator clip.
Cut enough ribbon to cover the clip. I used a single pronged clip.


Glue one end of the ribbon to stick to the bottom side of the top of the clip.


Open the clip and close it on the glued end of the ribbon.


Glue the top of the clip.


Now fold over the ribbon onto the glue.


Glue the insides of the pinchy part of the clip.


Now fold the ribbon onto the glued parts.


Continue by glueing the underside end of the clip.


Drape over the last part of the ribbon onto the glued part and you're done.


Should look like this when you're done.


Now glue the top of the clip to adhere the Hello Kitty head to. Do not glue on the pinchy part.

All done! How fun and easy was that?


My daughter loves hers. Now I just need a Hello Kitty outfit for her to wear!

This was so easy and fast to do. I am going to make some more for my sister Erin's daughters.
Have fun! I'm sure you'll get lots of compliments with these!
*Updated 4/28/14*

31 comments :

Erin said...

oh my goodness! these are too cute! when my daughter turns 4 we are having a hello kitty theme bday party and this would be so fun to make for her. thanks for the great idea!

Williams Forever said...

I LOVE IT..SUPER CUTE SIS.

Sweet Floweret said...

REally cute!
Would you consider linking up to my "20 minute tuesday" party at this address tomorrow? http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com
It's for projects that: take 20-30 mins and cost less than 10 bucks.
Great place for people to come and check out quick and inexpensive ideas!
Thanks for considering!
Tina
PS: I'm giving away 20 more button pony tailers! Here's the info:
http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com/p/may-winners.html

Karima said...

Hi found you via handmade tuesdays, now google and facebook following you, Karima from
www.karimascrafts.com
and
www.karimasblogs.blogspot.com

Travis & Alisa said...

Such a cute idea! I LOVE it!

I would LOVE if you would link up your project to our {{What I Made Wednesday}} Linky Party! We're also hosting a giveaway, so don't forget to sign up! :)

I'm also your newest follower. We would LOVE a follow back if you love our blog too!

Alisa @ Sweet Peas & Bumblebees
sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

idesign said...

wow! that's amazing :)

Jackie
http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

Tanya @ Greetings From the Asylum said...

Wow! That takes some serious patience and some steady hands! Thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

This is SO COOL!!! You did an amazing job! :)

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'm going to have to try making one ... my daughter would love it. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Colson Clips said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! My daughter wants a Hello Kitty bday party and these will be great party favors for the girls.

Colson Clips said...

Looks great as a Halloween Cat too, use black for the cat and then I added orange to inside of ears, green eyes, orange whiskers, and red nose. Love it! You can see it on my website www.colsonlclips.com

Amber said...

Ok, I am pretty crafty & this isn't nearly as easy to make as it looks on here :( I can not see to get the head to wrap correctly or if I do get it to wrap semi ok, it won't stay together as I wrap it. Help! Is there anything different I can do for the head. It just isn't working out for me :(

Joi Malkin said...

Amber, ok I know it is a little tricky. Did you make the figure eight first and then clip it? If so, once you try wrapping it around the ribbon to make the center, you will take the clip off and hold that part (that was clipped) in between your finger and thumb and then reclip it. Once it's clipped then you can shift the ribbon. I will try and make a video and post it on here. I'm sure more people have questions.

JBaldoni said...

I too am having trouble wrapping the ribbon to create the head... a video tutorial would be greatly appreciated :)

smilli1978 said...

OMG! This is so cute! The first one I made was a FAIL lol but I adjusted your directions to help myself keep it together, I added a bead of hot glue to each loop to keep it in place ( I had to do a dry run first to make sure I had enough of the 17" to cover it all) This should be a big hit in the goody bags! Thanks!!

Rebecca Locklear said...

Did you ever get a chance to do a tutorial? I think this bow is so cute but I am having trouble with the head.

Joi Malkin said...

Rebecca, I'm so sorry. I haven't had any time to create a video tutorial for this. I'm going to do one soon though and I'll let you know when I post it ok? Sorry for the wait.

Rebecca Locklear said...

Thanks :)

Karen said...

Where do you use the black ribbon?

Joi Malkin said...

@Karen - Good question. I think I was going to use it to line the clip, but I ended up using the pink instead. Sorry for the confusion!

Melody Judd said...

i am interested in making one of these cute hello kitty sculptures i am just confused on how you made the figure 8 for the head

Shanna T said...

I did the figure 8 then cut three individual pieces... one slightly longer two same length... put the two identical prices in place between the figure 8 loops.. then took the slightly longer price & placed on top in the center!! Much easier than wrapping it & holding everything!! Heat sealed all the ends too!!

Joi Malkin said...

Great Idea Shanna! Thanks for sharing!!!

Tachan said...

for the pieces you used did it still total 17 inches? what were your measured pieces to make this bow?

Tachan said...

Theses Are adorAble! How Big Are The Loops Supposed To Be Though?

Joi Malkin said...

Hey everyone, I finally recorded a video tutorial for the head. Hope it helps you! Sorry it took me so long.
Thanks for following, @SweetFloweret, @Karima, @Travis&Alisa, @idesign, @Tanya, @Amy, @Randi, @ColsonClips, @Amber, @JBaldoni, @smilli1978, @RebeccaLocklear, @Karen, @MelodyJudd, @ShannaT, @Tachan.
<3 Joi

Erin said...

Love the video tut. super easy to make! Your amazing, thanks

Unknown said...

Thank you! I'm a beginner and need help from others. Your tutorial was very helpful.

Unknown said...

Any ideas what to use for eyes, whiskers and nose. My paint seems to bleed

Springbird said...

Too adorable, can I make n sell them?

Cindy Dy said...

I enjoy reading your articles. You really have a wonderful blogs. Keep up the good work. Thank you also for the information!

Yong
www.gofastek.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs